Hi Farkhad,

The troubles arise when there are multiple user groups whose activities are
aimed at primarily promoting the Wikimedia projects on one language or/and
they are centred on the same geographic area. This would not be a problem
for culturally and linguistically diverse countries with significant share
of the world's total population like Russia or India but it definitely
invites problems in small, mostly European, countries where it is not the
case. So, my opposition is not on having multiple user groups in one
country or large grographic area that abounds in cultural and linguistic
diversity but on doing it in areas that have the opposite. This would
translate into something like having multiple user groups on promoting only
the Tatar or Bashkir Wikipedia with overlapping scopes because the
Affiliations Committee failed to contact the existing affiliates on
resolving why the co-existence of additional ones with almost identical
scope is needed before making the cut and recognise them.

Best,
Kiril

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 11:59 AM Фархад Фаткуллин / Farkhad Fatkullin <
f...@yandex.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > achievement, while they did not give a damn about the problems that they
> > have posed with their light-minded routine. Moreover, when you approach
> > them with some relevant questions, they simply brush off and respond
> with a
> > months-long delay.
> >
> > In conclusion, the Affiliations Committee is artificially creating
> problems
> > as a result of their recognition policy and is seeking resolution from
> > volunteers that were not consulted at all about the potential
> > consequencies. This is a waste of volunteer time and efforts for
> something
> > that could have easily been prevented. Unfortunately, the Wikimedia
> > Foundation and some other voices in the movement contribute to this
> misery
> > and it is highly unprobable that any complaint to any one in the movement
> > would pay off.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Kiril
> >
> > On сре., 13 фев. 2019 г. at 16:13 Paulo Santos Perneta <
> > paulospern...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>  Hello,
> >>
> >>  camelia boban <camelia.bo...@gmail.com> escreveu no dia terça,
> 12/02/2019
> >>  à(s) 11:18:
> >>
> >>  > (...)
> >>  > In line with the philosophy of the inclusion of the movement, AffCom
> has
> >>  > acted as it always does when it receives affiliation requests: it
> >>  assesses
> >>  > the territorial overlap and the declared purpose of the requests with
> >>  > others affiliates present in the territory, contacting the already
> >>  > recognized affiliates to hear from them about any concerns, using the
> >>  > experience and knowledge on the territory of each of its members.
> >>  >

> >>  I suppose this was not in effect back in 2015, when Wiki Education
> Brazil
> >>  was approved, as neither the existing affiliate in Brazil - UG
> Wikimedia
> >>  in Brazil -, nor Wikimedia Portugal, have been consulted about it, even
> >>  when it totally overlapped with the territory of the existing
> affiliate in
> >>  Brazil, and was announced by AffCom as having a Lusophone target,
> therefore
> >>  interfering in Portugal as well. Furthermore, at the date it was
> approved,
> >>  Wiki Education Brazil was already in open conflict with the existing
> >>  affiliate in Brazil, which makes the approval decision by AffCom
> absolutely
> >>  incomprehensible.
> >>
> >>  Actually, I really fail to understand why the candidatures to AffCom
> >>  continue allowed to be proposed in absolute secrecy, leaving any
> problems
> >>  caused by their approvals to be dealt with by the community after the
> >>  problem is already installed. Does not seem a very clever way of

  • Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Aff... Mardetanha
    • Re: [Wikimedia-l]... Paulo Santos Perneta
      • Re: [Wikimedi... Philip Kopetzky
        • Re: [Wiki... Alessandro Marchetti via Wikimedia-l
          • Re: [... Фархад Фаткуллин / Farkhad Fatkullin
            • ... camelia boban
            • ... Philip Kopetzky
            • ... Paulo Santos Perneta
            • ... Kiril Simeonovski
            • ... Фархад Фаткуллин / Farkhad Fatkullin
            • ... Kiril Simeonovski
            • ... Paulo Santos Perneta
            • ... Фархад Фаткуллин / Farkhad Fatkullin
            • ... Greta Doçi
            • ... Paulo Santos Perneta
            • ... Kiril Simeonovski
            • ... Фархад Фаткуллин / Farkhad Fatkullin
            • ... Silva Arapi
            • ... Greta Doçi