From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Alessandro Marchetti via Wikimedia-l
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 1:53 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] How diverse are your readers?

 I know people in many fields with great technical expertise. people who
published articles on Science and Nature basically, and in the end I think they
are probably qualified to have an idea of what a good encyclopedia should be.
The point is that these people open wiki for topics far away from their area,
most of the time they look also for "pop" topics. Finding pop culture is what
makes them stay and grow interest as much as everything else. It's when they
find a deleted ye useful page of something of interest for some internal reason
they think wikipedia it's not worth spending time on.

Based on that experience, in all the discussions when people who claim that
this focus on such pop information lower our image or damage our workflow, I
always question where these opinions come from and if they are peer-reviewed. I
am a scientist, I look at data. it has been years people are claiming the
"popmaggedon" of wikipedia is soon, and in the meantime its overall quality on
very specific topic is still increasing.

A balanced encyclopedia comes from trying to fill the gaps, all information are
useful in that direction. As long as someone else is studying missing links,
pages existing in other languages, encouraging what editors want and so on,
your idea is just part of patchwork. I cannot peer-review such statement, but
at least i can tell you it is said by someone who never edited a "pop" article
in all his wikipedia life and manage projects of outreach in organic chemistry
or biophysics, to name the last ones. So I hope that it gives a hint that is
probably fine.
Go on and explore.

    Il lunedì 11 marzo 2019, 10:08:23 CET, Vi to <vituzzu.w...@gmail.com> ha