I do not think we should assign blame to those who left this list during
and because of the periods of toxicity, and who are disinclined to
participate here because of the memories of that and a continued perceived
unhealthiness in the tone. Their decision to leave was a valid one.

Not respecting that choice I suspect would just reaffirm their suspicions
and reinforces the lack of desire to commit here. A significantly more
positive tone needs to be made and a much more conciliatory stance taken.
Otherwise we all might as well pack our bags.