Framing it as "competence over politeness" is convenient for the
people who do not want the latter and imagine they are the former.

It also insults the editors who have managed to do both.  I know an
en.wp editor who has dozens of FAs and somehow managed the herculean
feat of not referring to anyone on Wikipedia using the c-word.

Framing it as "the culture of the community" leaves out of the
community all of us who are sick of this behavior, including long-time
veterans of the community like myself (fifteen years), and community
victims of harassment asking T&S for help.