This has nothing to do with Commons only supporting Wikipedia. Commons supports
ALL of the Wikimedia projects, and always has.

As is quite clearly set out in the Commons SCOPE policy, “a file that is used
in good faith on a Wikimedia project is always considered educational”, and
hence is in scope. Of course, that includes Wikidata.

Under the same policy, Commons does not editorialise on behalf of any of the
projects, and an image that is acceptable to Wikidata is by design acceptable
to Commons.

If the Wikidata community considers that an item on an individual is not
acceptable (for  example because it has been added solely for self-promotion),
Wikidata can - under its own rules - delete it, and hence the link to the image
on Commons.

Commons would then delete the image as not in use (and not otherwise
educational).

None of this relies in any way on the specific definition of ‘notable’ as used
on the Wikipedias; that’s simply not relevant.

The problem here seems to be an additional hurdle that has apparently been
added to the guidance given to OTRS volunteers.  OTRS has so far as I know no
mandate to decline images that fall within Commons Scope, and if they are
indeed doing that, the guidance should be changed.

Michael