Hi all,

I’m on the other side of things - I think it would be good to simplify our
branding, and ‘Wikipedia’ is the obvious brand to go with. I’d love to see us
talking about ‘Wikipedia Data’, and ‘Wikipedia Media, etc. (maybe with obvious
cross-wiki tabs at the top of the projects!), without the confusion of
‘Wikileaks’, ‘Wikia’, etc. I don’t think that a yes/no Meta RfC on this project
right now would help, as there would be an obvious knee-jerk reaction.

I also don’t think that the ‘brandingwikipedia’ website helps, though. If you
want to ask the general public about Wikipedia branding, it makes sense - you
can just click ‘like’ to the suggested tags and maybe leave a comment, and
that’s it. However, that’s not how the Wikimedia community works, and that’s
the population that you need to convince.

If you want this to work, then I think there’s two ways to go: start
discussions on-wiki about the pros and cons, provide data in response to
questions and emotional responses, and help the community reach a consensus
with you about the way forward; or just go ahead and make the change, weather
the reactions, and see what happens. I suspect only one of those approaches
would work in the long-run, but either would be better than having off-wiki
processes and then claiming that they have consensus. Of course, you can try an
approach with one Wikimedia project at a time, and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Mike