Hoi,
Hay Kranen created a proof of concept where Commons is searched for
pictures that (per standard) use a "depicts" statement.. The search is
limited to existing labels in Wikidata and to the search has as its result
whatever is available in commons..

Use for instance "appelmoes"  and you get six results [1], [2].

At this time you can get a "detail" screen and it provides standard
functions available. The functionality can be prettified. Essential is that
everything will be internationalised /  localised. The other thing is that
I hope is that functionality like this becomes standard Commons
functionality...

On a more philosophical note, we are a WIKI, it follows that we will work
to make more and more pictures searchable in this way and that we get more
and more labels in all of our languages. It is however NOT necessary that
from the start it needs to be perfect. Please do not let perfection be the
enemy of the good. Improvements is what we should aim for and perfection is
what we aspire to.
Thanks,
       GerardM

Oh and again Hay, thank you so much.