Hey everyone,
first of all, thanks for all the compliments on my tool! I'm really
glad that people think it is of use.

First of all, i made a couple of updates to the tool, including adding
i18n support, category search and links to Petscan. I've posted an
update on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/hayify/status/1264647593218408449

Just a couple of general observations and thoughts about this project.
When i started development i had two main goals:

1) To showcase the beauty and richness of the media on Wikimedia Commons
There are many files on Wikicommons that are of exceptional quality,
but unfortunately the current search results page doesn't really do a
lot of effort to showcase that, compared to search engines like Google
or Yandex. This is why the Structured Search results overview focuses
on big thumbnails and not on the metadata (i doubt many users are
interested in the filesize or resolution for example, which are shown
on the current Commons results page). This has been a big grudge of me
for many years, i've even came across a Phabricator ticket from almost
five(!) years ago where i was already proposing something like this
(https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T104565).

2) To showcase the usefulness of structured data
Currently the only way to search for structured data is by using the
'haswbstatement' filter in the search engine. I doubt many people know
this (i didn't until Maarten Dammers pointed me to it) and the
user-friendliness is pretty low, given that you need to fill in
property and item numbers by hand. The best way to find media based on
structured data would be using a SPARQL endpoint (just as on
Wikidata), but unfortunately work on that has been slow (see
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T141602). So this tool is basically
a stopgap to author Commons search queries using haswbstatement until
we have a proper SPARQL endpoint for SDoC.

A couple of other points that might be of use:
* Structured Search queries are completely compatible with Wikimedia
Commons search engine queries. It's the exact same format. Any query
that can be done using a Commons search query can be done on
Structured Search (given that it uses the 'File' namespace). I've made
a Commons gadget you can use if you want a link from Commons search
results directly to the tool
(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Husky/sdsearch.js)
* I'm really pleased with the translations that have already been
made. Updating the localisations is still a manual process, i'll
change that to something more automatic in the future.
* I don't intend this to be the replacement of the regular search on
Commons, i just hope it can serve as an inspiration and as a solution
to people who want to have something more visual than the current
search UI.

I don't read this mailing list too much, so for feature requests or
bug reports it's probably best if you submit an issue on Github
(https://github.com/hay/wiki-tools) or reach out to me on Twitter
(@hayify) or via Wikimail.

Kind regards,
-- Hay