Certainly the projects have a role beyond content—in particular, they, not the
foundation, are what the public sees. They are what it is needed to publicise
(I don’t like to use the term “marketing “ — that’s the way the foundation
speaks) and this is a key role of the chapters.

The obvious role of the foundation, besides the basic central services, is to
deal with its natural counterparts—formal organisations such as governments and
copyright agencies.

I recognise the need for coordination and the possible need to intervene to
maintain minimum standards. But these are historically dangerous roles, for
“protection “ against potential forces that might oppose our values has an
ominous potential  also.—
DGG
Obviously I speak only for myself—assume the appropriate qualifications before
every phrase