No idea why it got half of the content, but what I can say, is that they
removed emails and reset passwords of user accounts until they
"voluntarily" stepped down. This may mean a need to dive into email logs.

On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 at 17:43, Yair Rand <yyairr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (For those trying to play catch-up on the Wikipedia-in-China issue, I
> recommend diving into some old Signpost archives: [1] ("The BBC looks at
> Chinese government editing"), [2] ("Interview: Carl Miller on Wikipedia
> Wars"), [3] ("Community View: Observations from the mainland"), [4]
> ("Special report: Hardball in Hong Kong"), and maybe [5] ("Chinese man
> detained and penalized for reading Wikipedia") and [6] ("China and the
> Chinese Wikipedia"). Note that the author of the community view piece and
> the subject of the special report, User:Techyan and User:Walter_Grassroot
> respectively, are both among those banned in this action. I have not found
> sources covering the more recent events relating to the canvassing policy.)
>
> I'm having a difficult time understanding the notice, particularly which
> parts are relating to the NDA change and which are relating to the more
> recent actions. If I am understanding correctly, the NDA change:
> * was prompted by credible threats against contributors,
> * involved risks pertaining to private data being taken by hostile
> entities,
> * could not be communicated in advance even to stewards without creating
> serious risks.
>
> Meanwhile, regarding the bans and desysoppings:
> * The message vaguely implies, but does not state, that "credible threats
> to [Chinese users'] safety" were relevant to this decision.
> * A second justification is similarly implied: That the actions were
> necessary to avoid community capture/infiltration on zhwiki, presumably by
> the government of the PRC. Particularly highlighted issues of relevance to
> this are canvassing and fraud, presumably for community manipulation.
> * Some relevant information on this cannot be revealed publicly ("limits
> to what we can reveal").
>
> Maggie has stated on-wiki that those desysopped will be permitted to run
> for adminship again [7], while the WMF will "monitor the integrity of
> elections for those seeking sysop rights again (after this action) until we
> are able to help the local community adopt a more secure system." I am
> fairly confident that, if the desysoppings were necessary to avoid actual
> harm (that is, if there was a threat to safety from those users holding
> advanced rights), the WMF would not allow the restoring of those rights.
> Maggie's on-list response to Yaroslav mentioning desysoppings of those
> "whose behavior has been problematic in relation largely to canvassing or
> demonstrated abuse of their roles" seems to further support that this was
> not about harm.
>
> The canvassing rationale for the desysoppings (and possibly for some of
> the bans, if all seven were not for the same reasons) is not sufficient to
> justify this action by the WMF; preventing local canvassing is not within
> the T&S's remit. This may not have been the actual rationale (per "limits
> to what we can reveal"), but there are clear indications that it was, per
> [...]

William Chan
Education Programme Coordinator
Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong
User group : meta page <http://bit.ly/WMCUGHK> | facebook
<http://fb.me/WikimediaUGHK>
Personal : linkedin <https://www.linkedin.com/in/the23333/> | telegram
<http://t.me/theonly23333>