Dear Maggie and all,

There have been a number of responses from the mainland Chinese media in
the past week, and I found myself thinking about the two below, as well as
the term "infiltration":

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202109/1234607.shtml

https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1711166904747459645

(The second of these is in Chinese; I'll append a machine translation
below.)

The first article frames recent developments as a blow to Wikipedia's
"neutrality". I've long wondered what neutrality actually means on a global
stage, and how far the community is prepared to go in pursuing this ideal.

In the English Wikipedia, neutrality is defined as "representing fairly,
proportionately, and, as far as possible, without editorial bias, all the
significant views that have been published by reliable sources on a topic."

This sounds great until you come to realise that it all hinges on a single
word: "reliable". If you say that certain sources – or certain countries'
sources – are "not reliable", the whole edifice falls down.

Now the average reliability of academic or journalistic research can
certainly vary from one country to the next. The local political and
economical climate always influences what is published. Countries are also
at different stages of development. In many fields, what counted as good
research in a given locale fifty or hundred years ago may seem ridiculously
flawed and "unreliable" today.

So different times and different locales have different standards. At the
same time we can take it as a given that everyone is indoctrinated and
conditioned by the environment and culture they're born into. While we're
all human, human societies are inherently tribal. Everyone is made to
believe to some extent that their own tribe – or at least a specific
subgroup within it – "tells the truth", and that others often "lie".

Yet we know that our own politicians have also lied to us, and that the
media we ourselves consume and soak up daily are subject to political and
economical influence and manipulation. To some extent we are all willing
victims of our own culture's propaganda.

Given that this conditioning happens and has happened in every society that
has ever existed, it comes as no surprise that with a predominantly
Western, Caucasian, politically centre-left user base, the sources most
guaranteed to be considered "reliable" in Wikipedia are those written and
published by centre-left Caucasian Westerners. A state broadcaster like the
BBC is considered infinitely more "reliable" than a state broadcaster like
Russia Today, or the Global Times.

If you now hear a voice in your head reflexively responding, "But the BBC
simply IS far more reliable than Russian or Chinese state sources", then
what does "neutrality" actually mean when speaking on an international
stage? Shouldn't we be open about the way we are privileging "our" sources
because we believe them to be more truthful?

This is essentially what the second Chinese article linked above is
arguing: it says (somewhat polemically) that it would be better to call
Wikipedia the "US State Department Encyclopedia" or something like that.
And actually, many of us will recall that the Clinton State Department was
indeed represented at Wikimania 2012 – and that there have been ongoing
personal ties between the WMF and the Clintons, as well as the US Council
on Foreign Relations, ever since.[1]

So while the Chinese editors are saying – not entirely without rational
justification – that the WMF has been "infiltrated" by the US State
Department, the WMF is saying that Wikipedia has been "infiltrated" – if
not by the Chinese government as such (though it seems more likely than not
to me that the mainland user group has government links), then by a user
group that is largely sympathetic to it.

Which brings me to my main point: maybe the term "infiltration" is simply
not very helpful if we are trying to build a resource that reflects all of
humanity, as One Humanity. Can we find a different way of talking about
this?

I don't want to be accused of being entirely lost in relativism, so I want
to conclude by saying that I take a very dim view of the idea of reporting
Wikipedians to state authorities for their support or opposition to any
political  regime in power anywhere.

Andreas

[1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0NsY48OQdc&t=457s
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/federal-faces-richard-boly/2012/06/25/gJQAz2r82V_story.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2021-06-27/Forum

English machine translation (DeepL) of the second article:

Wikipedia, starting a "purge" of Chinese people?

Global Times Commentary

Published: 09-18
00:25
The official account of the Global Times
Recently, Wikipedia, the world-renowned online encyclopedia project,
suddenly did something extremely bad and politically charged - it blocked a
number of mainland Chinese editors who had been building its pages in
Chinese for free.

Not only that, but the Wikimedia Foundation, the administrator of
Wikipedia, has used a biased tone, as if from the US government, to smear
these mainland editors from the "Wikipedians of Mainland China" group as
"infiltrators". The Chinese government's forces have infiltrated Wikipedia".

Now, the BBC and other Western media have also jumped on the bandwagon and
are actively collaborating with the Wikimedia Foundation to "glorify" this
"purge" of Chinese editors.

Although Wikipedia has never officially entered the Chinese web space, a
group of mainland netizens have been building many of Wikipedia's Chinese
entries on China for years, out of simple humanism, free of charge, to
maintain the objectivity and impartiality of these pages and to prevent
extremist political and cultist forces from contaminating and kidnapping
the content.

However, in a rather biased report, the BBC quoted extensively the
unilateral statement of the Wikimedia Foundation, which had brutally
blocked these mainland editors, giving these mainland editors, who had
never received any support or help from the organisation and who were only
serious about doing a good job in the Chinese world as an open online
encyclopaedia, allowing China and the world to get to know each other, a
bad name. The mainland editors have been branded as "Chinese government
forces that have infiltrated Wikipedia".

It is reported that the Wikimedia Foundation, which actually controls
Wikipedia, has now blocked the accounts of seven Chinese editors and
revoked the administrative rights of 12 Chinese editors. The reason is
simply that they refuse to allow some extremists and cultists supported by
anti-China forces in the US and the West to pollute the wikipedia on
various topics related to China.

Moreover, as the administrator of the world's largest open online
encyclopedia, the Wikimedia Foundation's smear campaign against these
mainland editors, especially its use of various smear labels, is also
highly consistent with the smear campaign against Chinese civil society
voices in overseas Chinese circles by the US State Department and many of
the anti-China media mouthpieces it supports.

In fact, the editors of the Mainland Chinese Wikipedians User Group have
already issued an open letter listing the contributions of Mainland Chinese
Wikipedians and the falsehoods that the Wikimedia Foundation has thrown out
in its blockade of Mainland Chinese editors, in protest against the purge
and persecution of them.

But the BBC did not interview the disgruntled mainland editors, nor did it
give the same amount of space to these protests by the mainland editors,
but simply mentioned that the editors had posted a post in response to the
banning, and then nothing more.

This makes one wonder whether the BBC, which claims to be "objective and
neutral", is actually acting as a mouthpiece for the US government's
anti-China propaganda.

(The picture is an open letter issued by mainland Wikipedians to protest
against the purging of mainland editors by the Wikimedia Foundation)

So, since the BBC has not been objective and fair in presenting the voices
of the mainland editors who are now being brutalised by Wikipedia, Geng Zhi
decided to use our Chinese media platform to give them a voice. Here is the
latest statement sent to us by these editors about the "purge" of mainland
Wikipedians and the BBC's biased reporting on the matter.

Statement from the Wikipedians of Mainland China user group on "Wikimedia
Foundation's action against Chinese Wikipedia in 2021"

Wikipedia is currently the largest online encyclopedia project on the
Internet. Its reputation is based on its open-editorial, free-sharing
nature and the quality of its entries, which are no less than those of
traditional encyclopedias such as Encyclopedia Britannica and any online
encyclopedia. After the establishment of the Chinese Wikipedia, Chinese
language users around the world, including people in mainland China,
compatriots in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, and overseas Chinese, actively
participated in this great project of human civilization. As a result,
Wikipedia has become one of the most influential sites in the world for
Chinese language users. As the number of entries and their content grew,
editors interested in the development of the mainland Wikipedian community
formed the "Wikipedians in Mainland China", a loose group of users, to
develop a community and organise events in mainland China, in an attempt to
add to the record and development of civilisation.

Since its inception, the Wikipedians in Mainland China User Group (WMCUG)
has worked to eliminate, or at least reduce, the unjustified treatment of
mainland Wikipedians who edit normal Wikipedia content, such as attacks
based on political stance and regional bias, including name-calling and
ridicule, misinterpretation and slander, and even physical threats and
cyber violence. We have repeatedly advised the so-called Wikimedia
Foundation, the operator of Wikipedia, to address the issue of the Chinese
Wikipedia. However, like most bureaucratic organisations, the Wikimedia
Foundation has ignored these legitimate requests. As a result, our user
group has taken on the difficult job of developing a community and
protecting editors, organising a wide range of editorial events, teaching
novices about the language and editing skills of the wiki, improving the
capacity of editors, training site experts, and providing security advice
and protection for the many wikipedians (especially novices) who attend
online and offline events.

We must point out that WMCUG has been in existence for four years and has
received almost no help from the Wikimedia Foundation, which has done
little more than monitor our actions, discriminate against our editors,
ignore our demands, and fight against us. WMCUG is not an arm of the
Wikimedia Foundation, is not controlled by it, is not threatened by it, and
will never become its puppet. Despite the growing bureaucratic power of the
Foundation and the increasing interference in the affairs of the Wikipedia
community in all languages, unlike some other Wikimedia organisations,
WMCUG has not tried to interfere with the decisions made by the Wikimedia
Foundation by any extra-wiki actions. To date, all WMCUG members have
joined and left voluntarily, and we have members from all groups of
Chinese-speaking, Chinese culture-loving users around the world. We have
remained true to the spirit of freedom and openness that has characterised
Wikipedia since its inception. During this most difficult week, we have
been deeply touched by the steady stream of editors who have been
determined to join us publicly and speak out for us, despite the risk
warnings we have issued.

In the BBC's report, the Wikimedia Foundation has made serious and unjust
political accusations against all mainland Wikipedians by treating all the
accounts of mainland editors as the Chinese government's infiltration of
Wikipedia's online army, which is at odds with the Wikimedia Project's
long-held position of neutrality. These bureaucrats, who share the US$100
million donation pie and suck the blood from the unpaid contributions of
Wikipedians and technical volunteers around the world, are mainly from US
conglomerates and "NGOs" who have not even been involved in writing
Wikipedia content for as long or as often as the community of WMCUG users
who have been voted in by their editors. They have been involved with
Wikipedia content for less than one percent, one thousandth or even one ten
thousandth of the time of the Wikipedia editors-in-chief and other senior
editors voted for by the community based on their editorial contributions.
Under the banner of Wikipedia's continuity and development, they beg for
donations from people in Africa and South America who are already
struggling to make ends meet, but do little to improve the treatment and
experience of the editors of projects such as Wikipedia, while claiming to
promote knowledge sharing and editing for all, extracting benefits from the
selfless work of volunteers around the world, and largely failing to reward
content contributors, when these bureaucrats themselves hardly ever edit
Wikipedia and never make any real effort to improve the content.

In our view, the Wikimedia Foundation is more of a political mouthpiece for
the Washington authorities in this case. We have to wonder if in the future
some of the items, content and opinions that the Washington authorities do
not like will gradually disappear and not be in their interest, and if the
editors, who are seen as a thorn in the side of the Wikimedia Foundation
and the US government, will be gradually ostracised and suppressed. --It
would be better to change the name to "US State Department Encyclopedia" or
even "US Encyclopedia" or "Anti-Chinese Encyclopedia". It would be better
to call it "The US State Department Encyclopedia" or even "The Great
American Encyclopedia" or "The Anti-China Encyclopedia". In the future,
perhaps whenever a difficult management issue arises that cannot be
resolved, the "Foundation" will ban a few more Chinese editors, pin the
stigma on China, and then point a finger covered in $100 million cake cream
at the Chinese users they killed and say: "Look, this is a disruptor, a
spy, a tool of the Chinese government! A tool of foreign propaganda.

We must say that this action by the Wikimedia Foundation is completely
wrong. This deliberate targeting of mainland Chinese editors, the mass
banning and removal of community-elected administrators, will greatly
undermine the confidence of Wikipedia editors and shake the confidence of
readers in the Wikipedia philosophy. We are extremely saddened by this and
strongly condemn it. It is not any mainland editors or group of editors who
are responsible for the adverse effects of this incident, but rather the
biased and unjust Wikimedia Foundation and some individual editors who have
taken it personally and fanned the flames. In response to such injustice,
the editors of mainland China will not sit idly by and take it lying down.
We will fight back with the utmost vigour and fight to the end.

Author: Geng Jie

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 4:18 PM ktsquare <ktsqu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If anyone wants some feedback regarding the beginning of zh.wikipedia, I
> can try to help.

>  Virus-free.
> www.avg.com
> <#m_7823394090391045711_m_3618226274263309006_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 3:04 PM William Chan <will...@wchan.hk> wrote:
>
>> Update to this:
>>
>> I can't confirm if [3] can be observed or confirmed due to the time
>> between incident and current time, but other factual statements can be
>> backed.
>>
>> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 at 18:06, William Chan <will...@wchan.hk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> 1. I must say that, for those who were desysopped, there are very clear
>>> evidence and feelings from Hong Kong editors that the elections that
>>> empowered them to the positions they got came from rigged elections with
>>> canvassing being observed but never dealt due to acts to deal with them
>>> being claimed as outright hostility against the users in China.
>>> 2. I wrote the August 2019 piece. I'm not banned, I'm 1233. [1]
>>> 3. There were accounts which those admin accounts being shared upon
>>> non-admins (I don't think, imo, even account sharing between admins is
>>> right at all)
>>> 4. The Chinese community is in standstill after 2019.
>>> 5. It seems to be a preliminary conclusion of events that lead to all
>>> zhwp Checkusers deprived of such checkuser right.
>>> 6. I really hope for a global discussion, but a November 2017 discussion
>>> (initiated my me) led to nothing, then I think there's an ongoing RFC that
>>> didn't get much attention too.
>>> 7. I am quite confident that SWAN will discuss this issue and a larger
>>> open office hour is coming.
>>> 8. IMO, Techyan and Walter Grassroot deserved this.
>>> 9. Even outright fascism propaganda can't be dealt with internally till
>>> WMF g-lock [2]
>>> 10. Yes, if you get into a deeper dive on editors, you will find large,
>>> half-page political announcements are on userpages.
>>> 11. The worst part of those discussions are within QQ, off wiki plots
>>> against the safety of active, dissident (in terms of Communist party
>>> leadership) editors.
>>> 12. They did all the hostility since 2015 [3]
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> William Chan
>>>
>>> [1]:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2019-08-30/Community_view