-----Original Message-----
From: Analytics [mailto:analytics-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Daniel Mietchen
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 8:28
To: Wiki Medicine discussion
interest in Wikipedia and analytics.; Discussion list for the Wikidata project.
Subject: Re: [Analytics] [Wiki-Medicine] Zika

The link to microcephaly has become clearer this week:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Zika_virus&oldid=704879995#cite_ref-11
states "A complete ZIKV genome sequence [..] was recovered from brain tissue"
(of a fetus whose mother had been infected with Zika virus).

Given that the mass media are currently all over Zika, simple page view stats
are essentially useless for tracking the spread of the disease - the PLOS
Computational Biology article that Anthony has linked states "Wikipedia data
have a variety of instabilities that need to be understood and compensated for.
For example, Wikipedia shares many of the problems of other internet data, such
as highly variable interest-driven traffic caused by news reporting and other
sources."

However, correlating geolocated view stats or searches with external info like
http://www.healthmap.org/zika/#timeline
might be useful.

In addition, if we had some representation of clickstreams for Zika-related
articles in languages spoken in affected areas, this could help guide the
development of Zika-related content in those languages.

Beyond Wikipedia, there is a page on Wikidata to coordinate activities around
Zika:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_Medicine/Zika .

Cheers,
d.