I would think that properly planning a proposal for something like
this would take a lot more than 2 weeks - I've done conference and
convention organization work before, and even the rough plan for a
proposal took more than 2 weeks, including finding and getting
preliminary agreements with venues etc.

The 2012 proposal would be more reasonable, on the basis of having a
year to get a team and proposal ready to go.

However, if someone here wants to go gung-ho for 2011 as a practice
run or if you think you could actually pull a credible proposal
together that fast, more power to you.  It would be a good excuse for
some gettogethers at least...

-george

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:14 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.ay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was asked if the SF-area Wikimedia group had any interest in putting
> in a bid for Wikimania 2011:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2011
>
> The deadline to do so is February 8 -- two weeks away (just to list
> the bidding city's name; the deadline for full bid info is March 29).
>
> If that's too hard, there's an unofficial page for 2012 already as
> well: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2012
>
> If you don't know what Wikimania is, see
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania or
> http://en.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania.
>
> What do y'all think?
> -- phoebe