On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:50 PM, George Herbert
<george.herb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would think that properly planning a proposal for something like
> this would take a lot more than 2 weeks - I've done conference and
> convention organization work before, and even the rough plan for a
> proposal took more than 2 weeks, including finding and getting
> preliminary agreements with venues etc.

Agreed! To clarify: Feb 8 is just the deadline to put down the city
name as a possibility. You then have until March 29 to work up the
full bid (with team and venue information, etc). Two *months* is still
a tight timeline for the amount of information required, though.

> The 2012 proposal would be more reasonable, on the basis of having a
> year to get a team and proposal ready to go.
>
> However, if someone here wants to go gung-ho for 2011 as a practice
> run or if you think you could actually pull a credible proposal
> together that fast, more power to you.  It would be a good excuse for
> some gettogethers at least...

Indeed :)

I have worked on planning Wikimania for several years now -- so if
anyone has questions about this feel free to ask me directly. Note,
I'm not personally committing :) -- but I thought I'd find out if
there was any community interest (or pent-up desire!) to host
wikimania.

-- phoebe