On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Luis Villa <lvi...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.ay...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> For the formal conference sessions , we are interested in any and all
>> topics related to:
>>
>>     * Open access publishing and institutional repositories
>>     * Sustainability, scalability, and assessment of open access
>>     * Open educational resources and open access applications in the
>> classroom
>>     * Massive open online courses (MOOCs) - copyright issues, assessment,
>> challenges
>>     * Outreach, promotion, and overcoming resistance to open initiatives
>>
>> We will consider proposals for individual presentations and panels
>> organized around a theme.
>

> This sounds interesting - thanks for raising it, Phoebe.
>
> My normal material - open licensing - seems like it would be a bit
> offtopic, so I won't submit something by myself. But if anyone is
> considering a panel where an open licensing perspective would be useful as
> part of a broader/more interesting theme, please contact me - I'd be happy
> to help out.
>
> Luis
>
> I don't think it's off-topic at all, considering that all of this openness
has to be built on open licensing :)  But, I think the audience will likely
be familiar with but not hugely knowledgeable about open licenses & issues,
so a survey or similar would probably be good. I know from the university
perspective lots of faculty (and librarians) have a lot of questions about
what open license mandates from the government or in university
repositories mean about the rights to their work, concerns about commercial
use, etc.

-- phoebe