I'm going to be submitting a presentation about the work I've done with two
archives and an online library as Wikipedian in Residence and the power of
utilizing open culture data. It'll be a slight overlap to presentations
I've given at other library conferences, but, it'll be a chance to show off
unique open culture opportunities...

If panels or other things come into fruition I'm happy to participate as
well if desired. And yes, I love licensing talk ;)

Thanks Phoebe for posting this.

-Sarah

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Luis Villa <lvi...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.ay...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Luis Villa <lvi...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

>>> This sounds interesting - thanks for raising it, Phoebe.
>>>
>>>  My normal material - open licensing - seems like it would be a bit
>>> offtopic, so I won't submit something by myself. But if anyone is
>>> considering a panel where an open licensing perspective would be useful as
>>> part of a broader/more interesting theme, please contact me - I'd be happy
>>> to help out.
>>>
>>> Luis
>>>
>>> I don't think it's off-topic at all, considering that all of this
>> openness has to be built on open licensing :)  But, I think the audience
>> will likely be familiar with but not hugely knowledgeable about open
>> licenses & issues, so a survey or similar would probably be good.
>>

> The problem with that sort of thing is that the basic survey is often
> boring - like you say, many people will be familiar with it. Specific
> questions are interesting, but it is hard for me to know what exactly will
> be of interest beforehand. That's part of why I suggest a panel- I'd be
> happy to field questions, and those could be quite interesting, but don't
> have a good/interesting/informative spiel that would stand on its own.
>

>> I know from the university perspective lots of faculty (and librarians)
>> have a lot of questions about what open license mandates from the
>> government or in university repositories mean about the rights to their
>> work, concerns about commercial use, etc.
>>

> For mandates, particularly around OER, someone from CC or PLOS is likely
> to be more useful than I am- it just isn't (yet :) my area of specialty.
> (Which is the other reason I'm a little reluctant to jump in directly.)
>
> Luis
>

> --
> Luis Villa
> Deputy General Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
>
> NOTICE: *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
> have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.*

*Sarah Stierch**
Wikimedia Foundation Program Evaluation & Design Community Coordinator
*Donate<http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Donate/en&utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=&language=en&uselang=en&country=US&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3D%26esrc%3Ds%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D1%26ved%3D0CDMQFjAA%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fdonate.wikipedia.org%252F%26ei%3DYpsET93HN6isiQLIoJjSDg%26usg%3DAFQjCNG-7hzT9rkEvAjlNqBIOQ1ZDIpdYA>today
and keep it free!

Visit me on Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SarahStierch>!