I've gone ahead and bunged the new design onto the front page - and am
currently feeling rather clever, because I've also split up the various
sections, using templates, and now each has its own 'edit' button - which
should make it easier to update, rather than having to go all squinty eyed
looking at all the complicated layout code....

Re : Angela's points below - they're self evidently strong - I very much see
the current layout as a framework which I hope it might be a bit easier for
more members to get involved in maintaining / updating etc. - if you're so
inclined - dive in :-)

For example, I'd picture updating the 'featured content' bit weekly /
monthly (or even daily) - there's a metric ton of awesome australia related
content on commons, wikisource, and of course wikipedia - if you're so
inclined, just grab something from somewhere, and update that area - if we
have too many cooks, we can figure out some sort of system anon.....

In making these updates, a few things emerge to my mind as becoming a bit
more diserable / pressing;

   - I would like to highlight the possibility of an organisation joining
   WMAU - for whatever reason it seems to me that we're talking to quite a few
   organisations who would be interested in supporting the Chapter in this way.
   There's no tension in my mind between between this process and encouraging
   individual membership also.
   - Our Donate channels are a bit limited - we need an acceptable online
   donation scheme asap.
   - It might be wise to have some sort of policy on cleanup of older items
   - many of the pages easily navigated to are mothballed to various degrees.

that's it for now :-)

cheers,

Peter
PM.