I assume it's the same with our wiki though I haven't actually checked
myself, but usually editing the MediaWiki interface pages requires admin
rights. We really don't want people stuffing around at will with the main
interface. I also agree with Andrew about the Billabong page. It's meant to
be a page where people can make suggestions and ask for help or whatever and
we don't want to make it harder for people to find the central
discussion/help page if they need it. I don't see how it not being used much
makes a difference. There's only a small number of people who even have
accounts with edit rights and the website is still very young so you could
justify removing just about all the sidebar links by saying they're "not
currently used much". As Andrew said, we want to build the membership and as
the active members grow the central discussion page will become more useful
and important and in the interim it's there for anyone who needs it.