I too would like to see the chapter wiki being used more, especially for
planning IRL events.
Perhaps the issue is not so much that the "Billabong" isn't the right place
but that (as mentioned) it's not used by many people as yet - this is
largely a factor of the relatively low number of people who are allowed to
edit. Currently editing rights on the Australian chapter wiki are restricted
to members. I note that the UK chapter's wiki
<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>allows IP editing (though not on the
mainpage) whilst the other English language chapter (NYC) focuses their
attention on the meta-wiki
page<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_New_York_City>(which is
also open for IP editing).

Given this discussion is happening on the wikimedia-au list, rather than the
members'-only list, perhaps it is pertinent to ask: would the subscribers to
this list be more willing to become involved with the Australian chapter's
wiki, events, and eventually perhaps also join the chapter if the Wiki was
open for at least logged-in editing from all people?

One advantage of this would be that we could centralise discussion about
planning activities in Australia on the Australian chapter's wiki rather
than having to split it across Wikipedia's meetup pages. One disadvantage of
this would be that one of the promoted benefits of membership (being able to
edit the wiki) is no longer exclusive.

>From a personal point of view, I believe that increasing the editability of
the chapter wiki will increase the number and range of things happening in
Australia and therefore become a driver of membership and activity. But, I'd
like to hear what the current non-members think.

-Liam
(yes, I'm a member)

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata