<snip>

> The import/export component of this proposal is the gem.
>

> http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposal:Interoperability_%28Wiki-to-Wiki_interoperability%29
>
> Also if we are going to have 'fork' wikis, and we ignore the 'wiki for
> kids' component of your proposal, we would probably want to have
> 'missing' articles in the PersonalWiki link through to the forked
> wiki, which is what this proposal is all about.
>

> http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposal:Wikiversity_%26_Wikipedia_sharing_articles
>
> A simple way to set up a 'fork' wiki is to allow users to import into
> their userspace, and add some security so that users can't edit each
> others userspace.  Then every user has their own personal area to host
> forks, all in one wiki so that the administrative workload is less .
> However this can also be achieved on Wikipedia; copy an article into
> your userspace and it is unlikely to be edited by anyone else.
>
> --
> John Vandenberg
>
> I'm not sure, but is this MediaWiki extension called "Push" that was
announced just yesterday relevant to that issue (or even supersedes it)?
http://blog.bn2vs.com/2010/12/15/new-mediawiki-extension-push/
>From the announcement:

"...Push <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Push>, it enables you to
push content of wiki pages to one or more other MediaWiki installs.

*The main features are:*

   - Pushing page content to other wikis via a tab on the page.
   - Bulk push via Special:Push.
   - Remote authentication support.
   - Automatic transfer of included files.
   - Support for
ApprovedRevs<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Approved_Revs>.
   If there is an approved revision, it will be pushed, if not, the latest one
   is pushed.
   - AdminLinks
<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Admin_Links>integration.
   - Usage of the new MediaWiki Resource