On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Peter Musings <thepmacco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah,,, Spam is certainly a good reason not to open the floodgates - do you
> think it would definitely be too much for one volunteer (ie. me) to handle,
> Angela?

Spam accounts tend to flood recent changes on small wikis and there's
not anything you can do about it as they can't be deleted. There may
be extensions to allow account deletion but I don't think there's a
case to get a bunch of anti-spam extensions when we don't yet have a
spam problem.

> Is there a readily available technical tool to reduce the ability to spam
> bots to cause trouble?

There's not one simple way to do this. It's a case of adding lots of
different extensions and having someone on the server side that can be
constantly on top of this and adjusting things as the spam bots learn
to get around the barriers. Even wikis with captchas end up with spam
bots that have defeated those captchas. It's not something that can be
handled wiki-side alone and I don't think we have the tech support
here to handle it.

> It's the lack of accounts, and general wiki action that I think might be
> helped by trialling an open registration process.

I'm not convinced it will make a difference. We've trialled allowing
non-members to have accounts and with one exception they haven't
edited anyway. Even the members aren't really editing the wiki so what
would non-members do there?

Angela