Oh, and on the other topic you raise, you're thinking of "Oral citations".

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research%3aOral_Citations

Unfortunately, it didn't end happily on English Wikipedia as it was just
too much of a cultural leap for everyone to make, which is why you don't
see them anymore.

Cheers,
Craig