I can add a little more as I was in the loop of some email conversations in
2013.

A big problem for us to participate in WLM is the expectation that we can
upload a database of monuments including lat/long coordinates for use with the
WLM Mobile app. I don’t know how it is in other countries, but we just don’t
have the ability to construct such a database without a massive manual effort.
Obviously we known of various heritage registers compiled by the Commonwealth,
states, local governments and various other organisations (National Trust,
Engineers Institute, …), but these are generally not available to us in any
electronic format. I’ve been in conversation about getting the Queensland
Heritage Register released under CC-BY license which is apparently OK in
principle, but has yet to actually occur in practice.  Obviously we don’t need
to have every possible monument in this database, which is why we had thought
we might start with just war memorials, as the upcoming Gallipoli centenary
means that a lot of effort is going into documenting war memorials making it
more likely we could obtain (or scrape) the data for a number of states at
least.

However, the WLM committee knocked back that idea. As Gnangarra has already
said, we were told war memorials were not acceptable to them as monuments,
despite our attempts to explain the cultural importance of war memorials in
Australia. AFAIK, the conversation with WLM terminated on that rather
unpleasant exchange and has not been resumed.

Personally I would prefer to see a WMAU-takes-War-Memorials in the leadup to
the Gallipoli centenary (25 April 2015)  over participating in WLM.  There’s
plenty of scope here. In Queensland there are currently over 1300+ documented
war memorials (and no doubt many more undocumented ones), yet Commons has about
120 photos of them (incidentally, a big barnstar goes to WMAU member Mattinbgn
who took and uploaded many of these Qld war memorial photos). And of course the
impact of WW1 on Australia is more than just the war memorials, so we could
broaden it to WMAU-takes-WW1 and encompass anything linked to WW1 themes
relating to Australia.

Kerry

  _____