Leigh

I think its a rather complex issue and can see a few red flags there to
start with that would cause a lot of issues,  *Paid photographers? Paid
historians? Paid editors?*.  For Wikitowns or for that matter any project
really needs to be driven by the volunteer community both from within and
from the associated partners.  Someone being paid specifically to project
manage a WikiTown wouldnt be a good perspective.  From within an LGA having
someone in a community liason, or GLAM type position who can co-ordinate
some of the activities should be ok, even they need to be careful with COI.

I personally would discourage any paid activity as we have seen multiple
times this inevitably triggers a lot of damage to the community and
individuals regardless of standing.

On 1 May 2015 at 14:44, Leigh Blackall <leighblack...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gnangara,
>
> Is there any possibility or objection to paying someone project manage a
> Wikitown project? Am thinking that some local councils or business
> precincts would put up the funds, and a good project manager would honour
> ask the disclosure of interests and transparency of process inside
> Wikipedia. Paid photographers? Paid historians? Paid editors?
>
> I realise this is a contentious issue, but not sure it's impossible...
> On 01/05/2015 8:06 am, "Gnangarra" <gnanga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> G'Day
>>
>> Yes Australia has two ongoing Wikitown projects
>>
>>    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiTown/Toodyaypedia
>>    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiTown/Freopedia
>>    -
>>
>> I'm created both projects and are responsible for their on going
>> activity, the projects activity spikes depending on the availability of
>> funding for each set of new plates. I was also fortunate enough to see the
>> talk in Washington in 2012.   WikiTowns have a wide appeal and are very
>> popular the issue is that they require significant time to build which gets
>> complicated when you rely on volunteers.
>>
>> I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has, and provide assistance
>>
>> Gnangarra
>>
>> Vice President Wikimedia Australia
>> WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra

GN.