From: wikimediaau-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wikimediaau-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Liam Wyatt
Sent: Monday, 4 May 2015 8:21 PM
To: Australian Wikimedians mailing list
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaau-l] [Wikimedia-l] Wiki Towns

Interestingly, I just had a conversation this week with a (for profit) GLAM
consultancy organisation in Greece that wants to do a wiki-town project with
the city of Thessaloniki. They've already got the city council and several
museums of the city, and some [as yet undefined] level of support from the
editing community. What they want now is permission from the WMF to use the
logos, and to submit a grant application to run the project.

This is an interesting case because it's an organisation that has experience
in running events in a country that does indeed have a lot of cultural
heritage at the city level, and they city wants to do it. But, they also
want Wikimedia to subsidise their staff time to operate the activity -
without which the project would probably not happen. I've not seen any grant
application (so I don't know how much they want), nor do I know about the
degree of local volunteer community support to actually write and translate
the articles... It'll be interesting to see how it develops (if at all).

-Liam

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata