Like I said, there is currently no formal application for funding, or even
a project plan - just discussions with stakeholders and seeing what's-what.

My advice was to create a project page on the Greek Wikipedia to help
develop/expand on the project's goals, list potential important
topics/monuments, identify important target translation languages and for
the local community to get involved and sign-up as supporters. This is all
before any actual $$ amount is identified as requested. If they can't even
get the local editors to sign-up, then that makes it clear the project is a
non-starter with or without money behind it.

>From my perspective, one of the most interesting things about their plan is
that the city has a long history of emigrant and immigrant communities over
the centuries - so the Wikipedia languages they would like to target are
not just "for tourists" but those cultures that might be able to reconnect
with their heritage (e.g. Armenian and Turkish). This is the element that I
think makes it more relevant to the "sum of human knowledge in your own
language..." mission.

As you said Kerry, the potential risk is that it removes the volunteer
enthusiasm if the editors feel they're the free-labour for a for-profit
organisation. But, if the money is clearly going towards managing a
successful city-wide project with editing days, and all the time to make
linkages with GLAMs, printing the plaques etc etc. *AND* the local
community are clearly happy and engaged with this process - then that would
be potentially justifiable expense. This is the great advantage of the
WMF's PEG grant system - its public nature forces a greater level of
transparency, and for a crowdsource project it's very easy for the funding
organisation to see if the money will be a worthwhile expense. Effectively,
the local community itself can determine if they want the grant to succeed
or not.

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata