Hi Liam, thanks for the detailed report.

I have a question relating to the counter arguments you cite. Might this
lobby find better examples in the education and research space? Currently,
Australian schools and universities pay royalties for works copied through
Copyright Agency Limited (CAL), based on periodic audits where CAL comes to
a campus library, for example, and observes photocopying and other copy
methods to use as a data sample to configure a general payment rate for
that school or university for the next period (around 5 years).. how it is
precisely divided up into royalties to those it is owed I don't know,
dubious I'd expect. Needless to say, much of what is copied in the
education sector is educational content, like research, textbook chapters
etc. I know a few academics who claim royalty checks through CAL, for their
works that have been copied in a library somewhere. Might Fair Use impact
on this? So, not so much "artists" but producers of more
educational-in-nature content might lose their royalties from CAL if Fair
Use was introduced?

Regards,
Leigh

Leigh Blackall <http://about.me/leighblackall>