Hello,

Flying back from Siberia to Moscow at the beginning of this week, I happened to
sit next to an employee of the State Historical Museum
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Historical_Museum), who is taking care of
the museum's collection of photographs. I told her that museums and archives in
Western countries are collaborating with Wikimedia to make their collections
better accessible to the public and offered her to provide her with information
about such collaborations, so they could consider it at the SHM. In general,
she seemed quite open-minded towards such a collaboration.

>From her, I gathered the following information:
- All graphic pieces (photographs and various sorts of prints, including
manuscripts and books) have already been digitized; the question of long-term
preservation, however, has not been solved yet.
- The other objects of the museum are also being photographed (all in all there
are around 4.5 mio. objects); this process is still ongoing.
- It is still open how they will make use of the opportunities of the Internet
more extensively to present their objects to the public.

I guess, these three points illustrate the main issues of interest we should
address in dealing with museums and archives:

- What extra value can Wikimedia and/or partner organizations offer with regard
to digital representation of works of art? (some museums may already have gone
through this process, e.g. Zentrum Paul Klee)
- What extra value can Wikimedia and/or partner organizations offer with regard
to long-term preservation of digital material? (I'm not sure whether Wikimedia
is planning to acquire key know-how in this area, maybe collaboration with
partner organizations, such as http://www.cultlib.ch/ would make sense)
- What extra value can Wikimedia and/or partner organizations offer with regard
to bringing objects closer to their publics?

Please keep us up to date as to further contacts and experiences with GLAMs. It
probably would make sense to set up a GLAM task force to tackle these issues in
a coordinated manner, starting with existing initiatives and Zentrum Paul Klee,
for example...

Best,
Beat