Dear Ilario, dear all,

With Open Government Data, we are increasingly moving from the secrecy
principle that was the rule before all the Freedom of Information legislations
were put in place (see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_information_laws_by_country) towards an
openness principle with regard to government information.

This means that public authorities need to re-design all their internal
processes in order to adapt to this. They will probably move more and more in a
direction where they separate clearly between secret, copyrighted, and personal
data on one hand, and potential "open data" on the other hand, in an early
stage of their internal information management processes. - Right now, they may
still have a lot of databases where potentially "public" information is mixed
with information that - for one reason or the other - should maybe better kept
secret (Ilario cited a few examples). This means that you have to "cleanse" the
data before publication, which can be quite a painstaking task. So, often, it
might be easier for them to keep the entire datasets shut away from the public.

But in the end, I'm quite confident that we'll reach a situation where most
"public" information will actually be publicly available as open data or even
linked open data. But this just needs time; in some cases even a lot of time.
So I would suggest that we keep asking, seek the dialogue with the
institutions, show understanding for their situation, and show the necessary
patience. I'm sure there are enough potential quick wins around that could keep
us busy for years if we keep our eyes open.

Kind regards,
Beat