On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Bishakha Datta <bishakhada...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:52 AM, mayur <mayur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Its not a politics Game, its all about to give opportunities to all Indian
>> Communities, North Indian Community has not grown so far and reason behind
>> this is lack of Awareness of Wikimedia Foundation.Not Only Chapter But also
>> Foundation Activities are Totally Focused towards South India.WE are not
>> Blaming the chapter for this but A New Chapter in New Delhi will make more
>> Opportunity to grow Wikimedia movement in the Biggest Educational City of
>> India which has been completely Ignored by the Foundation and the India
>> Chapter as well.
>>
>> Regards
>> mayur
>>

>> Dear Mayur,
>
> From what I have seen and experienced over the last year, most of the
> offline and online growth in India has been initiated and propelled by the
> wikipedian community.
>
> Until September 2010, regular meetups were held only in Bangalore and an
> annual Malayalam meetup was held in Kerala. Now meetups are regularly held
> also in Pune, Mumbai and Kolkata - and meetups have begun in Chennai,
> Hyderabad, Orissa and other places. Similarly, wiki workshops and academies
> are being held in different locations around the country - and other
> activities are being planned. All these are community-led events.
>
> A chapter is a formal legal entity - please see the press kit at
> http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Press_kit for more information about the
> community, the chapter and the Foundation in India.
>
> Given your interest in stimulating activities in north India, I would urge
> you and other community members equally interested to meet up as a first
> step.
>
> It would be fantastic if this conversation could help stimulate interested
> wikipedians in Delhi and north India to meet up and plan further. Good luck
> and I hope it happens!
>
> Bishakha

Just realized my last two sentences could be misread/misinterpereted: just
to clarify - it would be great if interested wikipedians in Delhi/North
India could meet and  make plans to build these communities. To me, this
seems to be the critical first step, more than plans to start a sub-national
chapter. Community activism is what seems to be needed.