hi,

The idea for the need of micro-grant here is worrying. I don't think this
incentive is needed nor should be given at this point in time. We're trying
to make the photographs on Commons much better. The incentive is that the
best photographs will adorn the Wikipedia article that will link back to
the person who took the picture. It's a huge incentive for a budding
photographer. It is something he/she can point to. The introduction of
money into this equation, makes it competitive and removes the fun that
these events can be, IMHO.

As Mehul suggested in this thread, we've tried to get together with a
photography group that goes on photowalks every Sunday morning.
User:AroundTheGlobe had managed to get some photos donated vide Flickr
groups.

I think very few photography groups have taken the effort to inform the
group about copyright and how to protect their copyrights. Also, there is a
lack of understanding of Creative Commons and what it means to be donating
the image to CC-BY or CC-BY-SA license. The photographers should understand
this.

Another misconception is that donation of the photograph does not equal its
use on the Wikipedia page forever. A better image might come out and this
might be replaced. Or the photograph may be removed. In these
circumstances, the relevance to the article is paramount when used on
Wikipedia.

However, Commons could also become sourcing grounds for journalists and
media houses just like Flickr. I think this is also something that we
should pitch to the photographers, if we approach them.

Apologies for the longish email,

Pradeep
User:Prad2609

Pradeep Mohandas