Hi all,

On mobile: We are working on this. Deals take time to consummate and are
confidential until they are finalized with partners, but there is work
going on in India and we hope to have some good stuff soon.

@Ashwin: At one level I agree, but another way to think about this is as
follows...It is useful to differentiate between things an editor "can" do
and what an editor "actually chooses to do".  There may be thing that an
editor can do, but chooses not to do that is still worth doing and India
Programs can fill that gap.  On Outreach, India Programs is a) helping to
cross-pollinate learning across the community and take more of an
analytical approach to assessing Outreach than had been done before Nitika
started to really focus on this; and b) bring added capacity to help us all
reach more groups (look at the volume of outreach that has happened since
Nitika started pushing on this theme - not pure coincidence).[1]

@Srikanth: I don't think we should be ready to say there is no need for
group X to focus on activity area Y, since group Z exists. Existence does
not equate with "satisfying all of the needs in India". India Programs will
stop supporting outreach the moment the chapter or local communities feel
they are fully able to met all of the demand for learning about the
Wikimedia projects from groups across India.  Even today, the India Program
team seeks ways to support community members or the chapter to do the
outreach and does outreach sessions when a) they are asked to provide
support; or b) where there aren't community members ready to take the lead.

General point: IMO the debates which crop up regularly on this list over
"who should do what" is tangential to the goals we all share of
strengthening our community and realizing our mission in India. The
capacity represented by Existing Community + Chapter + India Programs is
nowhere near the need required to reach the full potential of the movement
in India, so what is there to fight over?  The more appropriate question
IMO to ask is: "How best to work together in a way that we utilize the
differing capabilities to maximum effective, given we're a long way from
reaching a point where we are "finished with our mission"? It would also be
cool if we celebrate what people actual "do" and debate the efficacy based
on the results (since all of our work is experimental in nature and
unproven at this time) rather than debate "who" should do the work.

My 2 paise. ;)

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program/Outreach_Programs

Kind regards,
Barry

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
parakara.gh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree wholeheartedly with Ashwin. India Programs need not focus on
> Outreach as long as the Chapter is there. In India, we see mobile
> operators giving free Facebook and Twitter access but not to Wiki.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Barry Newstead
Chief Global Development Officer
Wikimedia Foundation

the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!