Hi Theo,

Look, this is a two-way street. Ashwin made rather robust assertions along
side his feedback and I think I am entitled to both clarify points and call
out assertions that are unfair or unfounded IMO. The fact that I did that,
shouldn't be interpreted as disrespect for a senior editor or ignoring the
valid feedback in the post.  It is quite possible to both respond, call out
assertions AND still hear feedback.

As I said at the beginning of the post to Ashwin, "Please don't read my
comments that are persistent rather than responding personally." [1] I was
seeking to illustrate these themes.

In recent months, many a post on this mailing list have had some or all of
the following themes (as I read them):
a) assert either deep knowledge of the work that the IP team (or other
groups) is doing, make demands of the team based on this incomplete
knowledge and/or in a tone that asserts that the writer is somehow "an
authority" and the team should jump at their command;
b) make assumptions about people's motivations on the basis of rumour or
pretty limited personal knowledge of that person
c) seek to speak for community rather than for themselves when sharing
opinions (I believe the norm in our movement is to speak for yourself,
unless you are acting as an official spokesperson for a group)
d) a general focus on criticism without the "constructive" element of
building bridges/relationships as well as contribution to generating
solutions and balancing negative feedback with positive

My post sought to highlight these issues as all four came through in the
post and make a few suggestions on how one might engage more constructively
IMO.

General thought:I belive it is time that the focus return toward more
constructive engagement about the program work and challenges that we face
in India and the work that many of us want to accomplish together.  This
can and should include engagement and feedback on the work that the IP team
is doing. In this vain, I've created two new pages on Meta within the India
Program area to provide a space for suggestions[2] and for
appreciations/feedback[3].  This will hopeful provide a new outlet for
sharing of information on a wiki, where the environment is designed for
constructing work products rather than the ping-pong style of a mailing
list, which IMO encourage personal squabbles that more often end in ill
will than in a good exchange of ideas that help people learn and advance
our shared agenda.

[1] For the record, despite your assertion Theo, I do not doubt Ashwin's
sincerity. He asked if I doubted and I confirmed that I did not doubt it. I
felt it was useful to say that rather than ignore him and leave it
ambiguous.
[2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program/Suggestions
[3] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Programs/Appreciations_and_Feedback

Best,
Barry

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:10 AM, Theo10011 <de10...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Barry
>
> I have to say I'm a bit surprised reading this mail from you. I really
> don't care about what the issue is, and what side you or anyone is, but
> this is not the way to address and answer feedback and queries that I've
> heard from others a hundred times. This is not the kind of professional
> tone I expected from you, some of your inline responses are
> uncharacteristic of you. You conflicted yourself questioning Ashwin's
> definition of "sincerity", and then ending the email with "I don't doubt
> your sincerity..", It seems you do. You question Ashwin's insight and
> motivation. I haven't read a single thing in Ashwin's email that I already
> didn't hear from others over the years, even before you were hired, on what
> the IP should focus on, what should it do, etc.. Those are still common
> points, and general feedback. I fail to see what provoked this kind of
> response.
>
> I don't know about Ashwin but I would have expected an apology after that.
> I took umbrage with a couple of things you said, and how you said them. My
>
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Barry Newstead
> <bnewst...@wikimedia.org>wrote:
>
>> Who really cares, seriously! The purpose of any list is to share
>> information openly and encourage community members to participate. It is
>> not a credit taking exercise.
>>

> Err...You should? Someone from IP attended Wikimania and the chapters
> meeting last year, why not add those to the list, or the ones from 2004.
> Global south has been the rallying cry for WMF fundraising for a few years,
> is this how that focus is going to get translated into? by blurring the
> lines between where the money is actually going. I'm not sure about your
> community organizing experience, but these events take a bit of effort to
> organize and put on, to just have them claimed by someone else, is not in
> the good spirit of things either.
>

>> If you look more deeply, you'll see the IP team is doing work that helps
>> move us forward. They aren't simply replicating what the community can do
>> (note:  I will still take issue with the point that there is some invisible
>> community being held back from doing copious amounts of outreach or other
>> work because the IP team is crowding out their activity).  I think the
>> value that the IP team can and is bringing is more about the overall
>> support of outreach and the improvement of outreach work to increase
>> impact. The sad fact about a lot of outreach work is that it doesn't
>> produce that much community growth in its current form. Ask yourself
>> honestly, Ashwin, how much has your Pune community grown as a result of
>> your excellent and dedicated efforts to conducting outreach?  What Nitika
>> (yes, I think it should be clear to all that she is working hard on this)
>> is doing is really investigating the efficacy of outreach and trying to
>> identify things that will improve the results for the tireless work that
> [...]

Barry Newstead
Chief Global Development Officer
Wikimedia Foundation

the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!