Hi Theo, I will reply your questions in detail later.

I just want to make sure that anybody engaging in this discussion has read https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups and understands what a MediaWiki Group is. The motivations, process, etc is also explained there. If there is something there you don't understand or you think it's wrong let's discuss.

About the proposals, check

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups/Proposals

Yes, those of us being MediaWiki community members with full time dedication (aka WMF employees) are currently pushing many of the first proposals. It makes sense: we can dedicate more time and we are anyway leading other MediaWiki activities that would benefit from such groups.

Then again MediaWiki Group Ahmedabad is NOT one of these cases. Harsh is a pure MediaWiki volunteer.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups/Proposals/M%C3%A9xico is another example of a proposal pushed entirely by volunteers with no connection to the WMF. In their case Wikimedia Mexico explicitly supports the creation of the group.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation