Indeed - agreeing with Asaf here - I've learned over time (including time
spent on a chapter board in Australia, as well as doing stuff completely
outside the chapter framework) that good work and its results beat
bureaucracy hands down every time. You don't need the bureaucracy to get
results, as long as you have a group of dedicated people willing to work
together and make it happen. If people see your good work they will want to
be part of it.

Back in the heyday around 2009-10, some other countries rushed into the
chapter idea because everyone else was doing it, exhausted themselves
meeting all the requirements, and then wondered why they weren't achieving
anything or building a community or holding events. This then led to
internal strife, lack of cohesion, politics around which projects to
choose, etc, and I think it was a large part of the reason why WMF invented
the user group model - I was at some of the in-person meetings where that
was being discussed.

It's not a "demotion" by any stretch, it's about "what works best in these
particular circumstances?" The WMF isn't perfect - it's learning too, and
changes it makes are sometimes a recognition that it may have got things
wrong in the past and is now trying to do the best by its mission, its
donors, etc.

The Kenyan group is one of the most enthusiastic and interesting ones I've
ever seen in the WM universe and I genuinely wish you the best :)

kindest regards
Andrew