2009/3/19 Michael Bimmler <[email protected]>:
>
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Thomas Dalton <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>
>> If we win the bid, there are all kinds of legal stuff we'll have to
>> sort out - if everything will be done through us (rather than WMF),
>> which I think is likely, we will need to open a trading subsidiary.
>
> Do we know how other Wikimania organising teams did this (....Delphine...?)
>
> I can't remember having heard of any local trading company having been
> opened anywhere for this. Was it not usually the WMF that would have signed
> contracts if necessary?
> See also eg. http://wikimania2009.wikimedia.org/wiki/Contact
> "Wikimania is a yearly international conference organised by the Wikimedia
> Foundation."

Yes, I think WMF has handled it all in the past, but I think it might
be easier if we do it. The WMF won't get the same charitable benefits
that we do. Opening a trading subsidiary may become necessary at some
point even if we don't need it for Wikimania - for example, if we sell
more than £5000 worth (that's income, not profit) of chapter
merchandise in a year (that's a lot of merchandise, I know, I think
big!) we would be taxed if it didn't go through a subsidiary. We also
have plans for annual UK conferences (combined with our AGMs) - if
those get big enough to involve significant business risk, they would
need to go through a subsidiary as well.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[email protected]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

Reply via email to