On 25 Nov 2009, at 13:18, Brian McNeil wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 13:08 +0000, Gordon Joly wrote:
>> Michael Peel wrote:
>>> I've just spoken to Rory by phone, and managed to touch on a number
>>> of different topics with him - including the Usability Initiative,
>>> the bookshelf project, Britain Loves Wikipedia and other local
>>> events, etc. There were lots of issues that I didn't cover
>>> (different
>>> language versions, strategy, different viewpoints on the
>>> numbers, ...), so I would encourage others to also get in touch with
>>> him.
>
> Apparently, Mr Ortega's work is based on people who register an
> account
> and make one edit or more.
>
> The WMF stats are based on slightly different metrics; only people
> with
> five or more edits are classed as "contributors".
>
> I am not a scientist or, more importantly, a statistician. But, these
> seem like radically different criteria for an analysis.

He's posted his blog article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/11/wikipedia_on_the_wane.html

Sadly a lot of the points I was hoping to get across didn't make it
into the post, but the last paragraph of his post is great, and
something I wish the newspaper articles would end with:

"So this is a project that is suffering plenty of growing pains - but
with a Wikipedia entry coming top of Google's search results for just
about any topic you can imagine, the online encyclopaedia is
certainly not on the wane."

>>> I've had no other calls/emails from any other media organizations
>>> about this story.
>
> The Press Association are looking for comment.

They called me shortly after I sent that message; I spent ~ 10 mins
talking to them on the phone. Hopefully something good will come out
of that...

Mike