On 6 April 2011 00:36, Andrew Turvey <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Andrew West <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Not all candidates provided their wikimedia/wikipedia user name.  I
>> happen to know who Roger Bamkin is, and can guess who Ashley Van
>> Haeften is, but it would be very helpful if the wiki-identities of all
>> candidates were to be explicitly stated.
>
> I remember back in 2008 when Wikimedia UK was relaunched there was a
> debate about whether people involved in the chapter should have to
> disclose their online identities. In the end most people did but the
> conclusion was that it shouldn't be mandatory.

We definitely had that discussion regarding members and concluded that
we wouldn't collect usernames of members. I'm not sure what we
discussed regarding board members.

While it doesn't make much sense to have a binding rule that says
board member candidates have to reveal their online identity (I'm not
even sure such a rule is legally possible - who is appointed is a
decision for an AGM and a past AGM can't bind a future one), I would
be surprised if anyone that didn't got elected. I certainly wouldn't
vote for someone without knowing who they are in the Wikimedia world.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[email protected]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

Reply via email to