On 2 Jun 2015 23:52, "Richard Farmbrough" <rich...@farmbrough.co.uk> wrote:

> The big advantages of cafes and pubs is that people can come and go, can
> order food and drink if they wish, and don't look odd if the numbers are
> small or large.

Well put!

> The only cafe I know in Oxford is Greens which is next to the Bird and
> Baby in St Giles, is nice, if pricey, but has accessibility issues.

I think in the specific case of Oxford (and probably more generally) I am
pretty confident it would be possible to find a nice café (although not all
will have wheelchair access). Off the top of my head, the Turl Street
Kitchen is nice (if a bit trendy) and G&D's (St Aldates) would give the
meetup a different vibe. Participants would be under a bit more pressure to
order *something* (Wetherspoons being very lax about this) but in those two
cases I've never had trouble.

> Possibly university, community, religious or GLAM space might be used
> especially if an additional event was involved, but we would be very lucky
> to get such a venue on a recurring basis.

Certainly in Oxford it is generally pretty easy for a student to book a
room at her/his own college, and many are without cost, although they tend
to be more lecture theatres in setup than cafés!

Harry

--
Harry Burt (User:Jarry1250)