On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Aryeh Gregor
<simetrical+wikil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can still link it with proprietary code as long as you don't
> distribute the result, so it would be fine for research projects or
> similar that rely on proprietary components.

What happens if one of your employees or volunteers distributes the result?

> You can always *use* GPLd code however you like.

Does "use" include "prepare a derivative work"?

> If you want to *distribute* proprietary
> (or otherwise GPL-incompatible) code that depends on my volunteer
> contributions, I'm happy to tell you to go jump off a bridge.

Copyright law gives the author an exclusive right to *prepare*
derivative works, not just to *distribute* derivative works.  What in
the GPL gives you permission to prepare a proprietary derivative work
which you do not distribute?