On 05/30/2013 06:28 PM, Ryan Kaldari wrote:
OK, I decided to be slightly bold. I changed the modal video threshold on en.wiki from 200px to 800px. This means all video thumbnails that are 800px or smaller will open a modal player when you click on the thumbnail. If there are no complaints from people, we can switch the modal behavior to just be the default everywhere. Try it out and let me know what you think: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_insensitivity_to_pain#Presentation

Ryan Kaldari

I would lean towards more like < 400 px. There are probably pages that have large videos already, maybe don't need to be re-modal-ized ?

I agree with Erik we should autoplay after you click on the "play" button on a modal. https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/66551

Note in IOS, modal popups require an additional click to play if loading anything asyncronusly. We have done work in the kaltura library to be smart capturing the click gesture in thumbnail embeds [1]. In mediaWiki we may need to do something similar if we async load the player library.
http://player.kaltura.com/docs/thumb

But the extra click is the least of our iOS video issues, for the time being :(

--michael

<http://player.kaltura.com/docs/thumb>