On 4/7/14, Steven Walling <steven.wall...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 5:46 PM, Brian Wolff <bawo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No you don't get more consistency by moving back to an experience
>> where you let the browser determine fonts. However you do get a
>> situation where things are more likely to work for non-latin scripts
>> (and other issues that have been brought up, if I understand
>> correctly). Consistency and actually working for all scripts are
>> separate goals. If you can't satisfy both, you're going to have to
>> make one take higher priority than the other. I personally consider
>> the "Actually working for all languages" to be much more important
>> consideration than consistency.
>>

> I totally agree. I don't see how there is any indication this is
> functionally broken or a major regression across languages, keeping in mind
> the necessity of ULS et al still. What major language-related bugs have
> been raised that would not be present regardless for most default
> sans-serifs?
>
> I see some cases, such as CJK, where users may not prefer the serif
> headings, since serifs look closer to a brush script in those languages
> than they do in Latin languages. That doesn't seem to be what we're
> discussing though? When it comes to the body font settings and language
> support, we've been able to remove some local overrides. Some others, like
> Persian, had Common.css overrides long before the new version was released.
> The general state of affairs before *and* after is that there aren't
> great-looking, freely-licensed fonts with support across all languages and
> which are widely installed on our most popular OS/device combos. We're
> making incremental improvements here.

I don't speak any non-latin languages, so I'm not competent to judge.
I based my comment on a large number of complaints I'm seeing.
Including Erwin Dokter's email earlier in this thread, and comments on
wiki like: "I really really hate it. New fonts are really awful for
non-latin languages." [1]

[1]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons:Village_pump&oldid=120885231#Changes_to_the_default_site_typography_coming_soon

--bawolff