Private/offlist

Steven,

I think you're missing what Issara and others like myself have
suggested: just reverting the fontstack part, not the
font-size/color/etc that are a part of the changeset.

Greg

<quote name="Steven Walling" date="2014-04-07" time="15:41:02 -0700">
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Isarra Yos <zhoris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 5) Restore the status quo - specifying 'sans-serif' as the font, which
> > translates to the default font for the platform, had none of these
> > problems, and resulted in fonts for all platforms which were good for those
> > platforms (though perhaps not necessarily the best).
>

> We're not going to do this.
>
>  The idea that one bug requires a complete revert and even more disruption
> for users is pretty absurd. Do we revert deployment of an extension every
> time a bug occurs? No. We do it when the disruption caused by keeping the
> new version is greater than taking it away again. This is not one of those
> times.
>
> We made the last change, which includes vital improvements besides slightly
> altered body copy font family, after months of testing and prep. But all
> new software has bugs, even "simple" LESS-only changes when they have a
> scope this wide. The latest patch by Jon was a bug fix, but that doesn't
> mean we're going to cause further disruption for users by completely
> reverting back to the old defaults.
>
> What we're going to do is discuss the options Jon laid out for trying to
> promote free fonts in our stack, while also being practical and retaining
> the enhancements that most users have been delivered so far. This is why we
> iterate on changes in any realm of design and development.
>
> I'll also nudge us here to remember that we cannot make design decisions
> like this in a vacuum, without feedback from non-technical users. It wasn't
> perfect, but we've been working hard to do that as part of Typography
> Refresh. Jon's latest bug fix itself is based on reports from many users.
> So far they've been thankful we did this.

| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |