Tyler: What issues might you foresee these leading to...? PHP and
JavaScript have similar syntax and we use both of those...

Gabriel: It doesn't yet support JSON templates, but there is no reason
it can't. We'd just need to send a different content type header.

In terms of benchmarks, I was thinking more along the lines of
benchmarking on the client, in particular for mobile devices which may
have less memory. This would essentially be, time to load the template
from the server to the time taken to render.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 8:08 AM, Gabriel Wicke <gwi...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 07/08/2014 07:28 AM, Jon Robson wrote:
>> This is exciting stuff. In similar news Flow and mobile now have a shared
>> ResourceLoaderTemplateModule [1] that supports shipping templates from
>> server to client.
>>
>> As a next step we should explore making sure  these two things are
>> compatible.
>
> Yes, that would be useful. IIRC Mantle already supports JSON templates, so
> this sounds fairly doable. Is there anything else that's missing?
>
>> It would also be highly useful when it is in a stable form to run some
>> benchmarks against hogan and mustache on rendering time for some complex
>> templates.
>
> We have a suite of micro benchmarks at
> https://github.com/gwicke/TemplatePerf. Could you nominate or directly add
> some benchmark tasks that are interesting to you and are not yet covered by
> the existing ones?
> We should also add hogan. Handlebars and mustache are already covered.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gabriel

Jon Robson
* http://jonrobson.me.uk