On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 16:16:06 +0200, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:

I just want to be clear that any sort of template syntax that resembles or can be confused with wikitext is not something that we can or should allow in core. If MobileFrontend and whatnot want to use this syntax, so be it.

That is probably too sternly worded, but I kind of agree that we should try to avoid ambiguities, especially if the templating is to ever be available to gadgets/user scripts/wiki page "templates".

We're already using wikitext as a very limited template engine in some places in core (most noticeable in localisation messages, but I think also also directly in some places), I think making the new one clearly distinct would be worthwhile.

--
Matma Rex