On 07/08/2014 03:04 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> At a minimum, it would seem to affect deployment performance.  We are much
> more forgiving of things that slow down deployment than we are of things
> that slow down typical page loads, but not infinitely forgiving.  How much
> overhead would this add to deployments?

This depends on how we wire this up. There would be no effect if compilation
& caching happens dynamically in ResourceLoader, or a couple of ms per
template if it's done on deploy.

> Template compilation is hardly a new technique (Smarty anyone?), so I'm
> assuming that technique could be (and has been?) applied to other engines.

Indeed. Most fast engines are using compilation, and some like handlebars
and knockoff also use pre-compilation for best performance.

> I'm personally somewhat skeptical about Knockoff, but only somewhat.  My
> main concern is that we don't end up adopting something that people will
> consider to be yet another weird Mediawiki-ism, because we have a lot of
> those.

I wholeheartedly agree. The idea behind Knockoff is to complement a popular
and rich reactive library (KnockoutJS) with a fast single-shot runtime
(TAssembly) for server-side and simple client-side use cases. Both
KnockoutJS and Knockoff / TAssembly are general-purpose templating libraries
without ties to MediaWiki.

Gabriel