Trevor Parscal wrote:
>We really need to just evolve Vector. It's not a sacred cow, and it's sort
>of sad how little it's been changed since I made in back in 2009. How it
>looks, how it works and how it responds to different devices can all be
>changed incrementally, and we can do this without continued or additional
>fragmentation.

Agreed, kind of.

I'm all for iterative improvements, but the trickiness here comes from
Vector's identity as a skin. Skins, in my mind, are substantively about
appearance. If we wanted to remove all the gradients from Vector, is it
still Vector? What if we kill the sidebar? At what point does choosing
Vector really mean not being able to choose anything because Vector is
always evolving. That is, there's some sense in a stable skin choice.

Prateek is quite interested in making a new skin and I offered to help. My
suggestion was to start with Vector as a base and slowly create a new skin
from there. This way we can learn from and directly incorporate lessons
learned in the development of Monobook and Vector, but we retain the
flexibility to make larger (perhaps even "breaking") changes to the new
skin, as we slowly expand the skin's usage and learn more about what
people want and need in 2015 that perhaps wasn't possible or wasn't
considered a priority in 2009. I'm hopeful that careful, incremental
development using Vector as a base is the correct path forward.

So now we have Blueprint, Apex, Slate, and Minerva, I suppose.

MZMcBride