> Ori Livneh wrote:
>>On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Jérémie Roquet <jroq...@arkanosis.net>
>>wrote:
>>> Has the RFC been abandonned because of lack of interest?
>>
>>Speaking for myself: at the time the RFC was written, I was skeptical that
>>the benefits would be worth incurring a dependency on an external service
>>(or the requirement of shelling out). But since then we have had a lot of
>>discussions (in the RFC meetings) on how to do micro-services correctly,
>>and some good abstractions have come out of that. So +1 for reviving it.
>
> I'd personally prefer that we move in the other direction, removing the
> minification. I think it's harmful to the open Web to minify, or worse,
> obfuscate our code. As expected, we've encountered a number of bugs that
> disappear when the debug=true URL parameter is specified. And given other
> performance optimization work and existing optimizations such as gzip
> compression, I don't see the benefits outweighing the costs.

I had the same point of view only a few days ago (discussions at
Debian got me there), but since then, I've changed my mind after some
experiments: minification can save additional percents compared to
gzip (the actual impact for our code is to be computed, but for
jQuery, it's already about half the size).

I see no need to obfuscate for the sake of obfuscation, indeed, but
neither do I see how minification can be harmful to the open Web per
se: in our case, the original, non-mangled source code is always
available. In my eyes, it's not different from running binaries or
bytecode instead of interpreting the source code for performance
reasons: as long as you have the source code and the ability to do
reproducible builds, it's ok.

As for bugs, I fully agree with you. It's an argument against
minification, but also an argument in favor of dropping JSMin+ for
another more used and actively maintained minifier, such as UglifyJS.

Best regards,

--
Jérémie