On 09/01/2015 07:53 PM, MZMcBride wrote:
I'd personally prefer that we move in the other direction, removing the
minification. I think it's harmful to the open Web to minify, or worse,
obfuscate our code.

I don't agree with this. However, I do think source maps (which allow you to serve minified code but see the original source code as soon as you open the script inspector/debugger) are important. UglifyJS apparently has support for this already (https://github.com/mishoo/UglifyJS2), so this would actually probably make it more likely to get implemented.

As expected, we've encountered a number of bugs that
disappear when the debug=true URL parameter is specified.

Not all of those are related to minification. In fact, I think most are not.

And given other performance optimization work and existing optimizations such
as gzip
compression, I don't see the benefits outweighing the costs.

unminified + gzip is still noticeably bigger than minified + gzip.

All of our software is free and open source. There is no reason we have to use more bandwidth than needed.

Matt Flaschen