On 13/07/16 06:50, Niklas Laxström wrote:
Many good and bad changes I can live with. One thing I will miss:
* Columns setting no longer wraps the diff lines. Horizontal scroll is
now unavoidable and cumbersome due to having to use either the mouse
or the arrow keys to move the cursor on the line.

Yeah, if it's possible to make these wrap instead of horizontal scrolling, that would be great. There is way too much scrolling everywhere, even on large displays.

Here's a bunch of other design things I'm hoping we can fix, since they're all a bit glaring:

 * Diffs - using icons for back to change, previous file, next file is
   very unclear and hard to find; new users will not see them and have
   any idea what to do with them. The current textual 'up to change',
   previous/next file is immediately clear and would be great to
   maintain. (The side-by-side and unified diff icons are also very
   strange, like fuzzy rgb blobs, but at least they're a bit clearer.
   Sort of.)
 * Commit message - limiting the height doesn't really help anything
   since if there's a long commit message, presumably it's long for a
   reason and we still want to see it. And it really makes it worse on
   small screens where we need to scroll through everything anyway, so
   the fewer separate things we need to scroll through, the better.
 * Diff preferences - white text on black background is very bad,
   especially when it suddenly appears on top of an interface that uses
   black text on white.

 * Padding - please more. Things should not be shoved up against other
   things. It makes them hard to pick out and read things at a glance,
   and the entire thing looks a lot messier and overly busy than it
   actually is; there should be padding around each bit of content (esp
   the commit message stuff), and at the end of blocks in order to
   distinguish them from the blocks that come after.
 * The very narrow scrollbars are weird and unnecessary, and hard to
   use. Considering most people are probably either on a system that
   already has similar by default (and hides them when not in use), or
   have large system scrollbars for a reason (hi), would it be possible
   to just remove that?

 * hrs probably need styles
 * Solid black lines are generally bad

 * Is there any way we can put the different file opening options back
   on the main change page? The view side-by-side diff, view unified
   diff, and now the edit file option too, instead of only having the
   filename as a link? It opening up to whatever mode was last open is
   really weird behaviour, especially with edit, since closing the edit
   mode always dumps the user back onto the main change page instead of
   going back to viewing the diff, and then when they click on the file
   again it takes them back into edit mode, which they don't want, and
   the obvious path at that point is 'close', even though the only way
   back to the diffs for anything at that point is the rather ambiguous
   icons in the corner of the edit thing.

Assuming it's at least pretty trivial to append css, here's a quick fix for the commit message box:

.com-google-gerrit-client-change-CommitBox_BinderImpl_GenCss_style-collapsed .com-google-gerrit-client-change-CommitBox_BinderImpl_GenCss_style-scroll {
    padding: 1em;
    height: auto;
}
.com-google-gerrit-client-change-CommitBox_BinderImpl_GenCss_style-header {
    padding: 1em;
}

Quick fix for the diff preferences:

.com-google-gerrit-client-diff-PreferencesBox_BinderImpl_GenCss_style-dialog {
    background: rgba( 240, 240, 240, .9 );
    color: #000;
    border: solid 1px #ccc;
    text-shadow: none;
}
.com-google-gerrit-client-diff-PreferencesBox_BinderImpl_GenCss_style-table td, .com-google-gerrit-client-diff-PreferencesBox_BinderImpl_GenCss_style-table th {
    color: #000;
}

Maybe?

hr {
    border: solid 1px #ccc;
}

Note that all colours are made up on the spot, I don't know anything about how gerrit actually comes up with these crazy class names, so nothing is really guaranteed with these snippets, etc etc. But please, if we can make this better, that would be great. Some of the new features are already great. Also the other things.

-I